1/1 Photo of Poached Whole Salmon
10 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Laura M's Note:
This is a beautiful and dramitic item to serve on a buffet table at a party. Most of the prep time is decorating. The actual cooking is very quick and easy. It will feed a lot of people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Ask your fish store for a very fresh whole salmon with the head.
- 2Wash fish thoroughly in cold water.
- 3Large dice the onion, celery and carrot.
- 4In a large roasting pan combine the wine, salt, carrot, celery, onion and bay leaves. Bring to a boil on the stovetop, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, make a cradle for the fish. Using two large pieces of extra heavy duty aluminum foil, fold the long edges together so it will fit in the length of the roasting pan. The sides will stick out of the pan. Poke holes in the foil (for draining the fish later).
- 6Lay the fish in the cradle, and lower the cradle into the simmering wine in the roasting pan. Add hot water if necessary to cover the fish. Tightly cover the pan with more foil, and simmer gently for 30 minutes, or 10 minutes for each inch of fish thickness.
- 7Refrigerate the entire pan overnight with the fish still in the cooking liquid.
- 8Next day, arrange escarole and/or kale on a large serving platter.
- 9Very gently remove the cradle with the fish on it from the roasting pan and drain. Discard any vegetables or bay leaves. The fish is VERY fragile right now.
- 10Put the cradle on the counter next to the platter. Using both hands (and arms), gently slide the fish onto the serving platter.
- 11Using a butter knife, scrape the skin and any grey bits from the body of the fish. Leave the head, tail and fins untouched. Remove the eye.
- 12Spread cold mayonnaise over the body of the fish. This is your chance to cover up any boo-boos from moving the fish.
- 13Slice the cucumber in very thin (1/8") slices. (I use a mandoline).
- 14Arrange the cucumber slices over the body of the fish so they look like scales.
- 15Insert a flower in the eye socket.
- 16Serve with crackers or cocktail bread and dilled bearnaise.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Whole Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 260.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white zinfandel wine
fresh edible flowers