Recipe by appleydapply
A cold shrimp-cocktail recipe from Cooking Light. It's tasty enough that it doesn't need a sauce. But you can serve with cocktail sauce to stay low-fat, or a remoulade or other mayo-based sauce if you don't mind the extra calories. Time to cook doesn't include chilling time.
- 12 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a Dutch oven (through carrot); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 2-3 minutes, until they are pink and fully cooked.
- Drain shrimp and place in a shallow dish.
- Combine lemon rind and remaining ingredients. Add to warm shrimp; toss well. Cover and chill until ready to serve, at least 3 hours.