From Gourmet, July 1998
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large bunch fresh tarragon (about 1 ounce total)
- 1 large bunch fresh chives (about 2/3 ounce)
- 1 large shallot
- 3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 lbs salmon fillets, with skin
- 1 1/2 lbs pink fingerling potatoes or 1 1/2 lbs other new potatoes
- 1/2 lb cooked sugar snap pea, diagonally cut into thirds
- 1Make sauce:.
- 2Pick enough tarragon leaves to measure 1/2 cup (do not pack).
- 3Chop enough chives to measure 1/3 cup.
- 4Coarsely chop shallot.
- 5In a food processor puree tarragon, chives, and shallot with remaining sauce ingredients until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Sauce may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 7Bring sauce to cool room temperature before serving.
- 8Make Fish:.
- 9In a deep 10-inch skillet bring wine and water to a simmer, covered.
- 10Cut salmon into 6 pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Submerge 3 salmon pieces, skin sides down, in simmering liquid (add hot water if necessary to just cover salmon) and poach at a bare simmer, covered, 8 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- 12Transfer cooked salmon with a slotted spatula to a platter to cool and poach remaining salmon in same manner.
- 13When salmon is cool enough to handle, peel off skin and if desired with a sharp knife scrape off any dark meat.
- 14Salmon may be cooked 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 15Bring salmon to cool room temperature before serving.
- 17Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- 18In a steamer set over boiling water steam potatoes until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 19Spoon sauce onto 6 plates and arrange some potatoes in a circle, overlapping slightly, on top of sauce .
- 20Season potatoes with salt and arrange salmon on top of potatoes.
- 21Garnish salmon with peas.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Salmon With Tarragon Sauce and Fingerling Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.6
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 114.7 mg
- Sodium 498.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 50.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: