Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Simply Seafood. Poaching is so fast and simple you'll want to have side dishes ready to finish before dipping the salmon into the bubbling water.
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon honey or 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets
- minced fresh chives or parsley, for garnish
- Seafood Alternatives: swordfish, trout fillets, cod, orange roughy
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, ginger and honey.
- Set aside while the fish cooks.
- Rinse the salmon in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the salmon into serving-size pieces.
- Lay the fish in a single layer in a pan at least 2 inches deep.
- Add cold water to just cover fish.
- Lift out the fish and bring the water to a boil.
- Return the fish to the pan and reduce the heat to keep water just barely simmering (a bubble every 5 to 10 seconds).
- Simmer until the fish is just slightly translucent in the center, about 8 minutes for fish 1 inch thick.
- Take the fish from the pan, let drain and pat dry gently with paper towels.
- Set the fish on plates and spoon the sauce over the top.
- Garnish with minced chives or parsley.