Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Flaky, buttery, cool poached salmon is perfect for a warm weather dinner party. A large fillet makes an elegant presentation, and it can be prepared ahead of time. The memon mint tzatziki balances the salmon's richness with a refreshing lightness.
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs skin on salmon fillets, pin bones removed
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (green part only)
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt or 3⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 large English cucumber, seeded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper
- Put the wine, water, bay leaves, parsley and one of the sliced lemons in a large skillet and bring to a simmer. Add the salmon skin side down. Add more water if necessary to cover the fillet. Cover the skillet and simmer over low heat until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes per inch thickness. With two large spatulas carefully transfer the fish to a plate, cover it and let it cool. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill completely- about 3 hours.
- Once chilled, remove the skin from the salmon. Uncover the fish, place a clean plate or baking sheet on top and flip the two over to the fish is skin side up on the clean plate. Peel the skin from the fillet and scrape away any discolored flesh. Flip the fish again right side up onto a serving plate. Garnish with the scallion greens and the remaining lemon slices.
- If using regualr yogurt spoon it into a strainer lined with a paper towel or coffee filter and set over a bowl. Let is drain and thicken for 30 minutes. Coarsely grate the cucumber. Drain it well in another strainer for a minute or two pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- In a meduim bowl stir together the drained or Greek yogurt, the grated cucumber oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic and mint. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce will keep 3 days in airtight container in fridge.