Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is from a friend. The poaching liquid really imparts a nice flavor to the salmon. I like to serve with Vegetable Galaxy, Vegetable Galaxy, and rice. Prep and cooking time does not include 1/2 hour for liquid to blend.
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 lemon, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 24 ounces salmon steaks
- Combine all ingredients except salmon in a saucepan large enough to hold the salmon steaks.
- Add water to make liquid 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.
- Let stand 1/2 hour to blend flavors in the liquid.
- Bring liquid to a boil and reduce heat to a very slow simmer.
- Add salmon and cover.
- Cook very slowly until fish is firm, usually 6 to 8 minutes, careful not to overcook.
- Garnish with your favorite cucumber sauce.
- Serve over rice.
This gets a 5 just for the ease and simplicity of the dish. It is a wonderful way to cook salmon, does not spoil the wonderful flavour of the fish and the fish cooks beautifully. I served mine with a dill caper cream sauce, just preference and it went really well with the fish. The poaching liquid imparts a real subtle flavour to the fish, yet you get that lovely salmon taste with every bite. Whether you serve with a cucumber sauce or dill or whatever your favourite is, they are the perfect accompaniment to this lovely poached salmon dish. Thanks MrsJ for sharing