Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, yet sophisticated dessert.
Make and share this Poached Pears in Saffron Citrus Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water.
- Heat, stirring, over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Add the pears and cook, covered for 12-15 minutes, turning them halfway through.
- Remove pears from liquid, and bring it back to boil, uncovered.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the syrup has reduced by half.
- Remove the vanilla bean and drizzle syrup over the pears.
- Serve with biscotti.
Ive never poached pears before and this was very simple and easy to follow recipe. It made one of the best puddings I think Ive ever tasted. If you want something light and not too sweet this is the one for you. I also poached the pears a little longer and they go a beautiful golden colour. I didnt use the biscotti but served it with some local vanilla ice cream, absolutely fabulous!
What a wonderful dessert this made! The sauce had a fruity and tangy taste, and as I couldn't find any biscotti, I used Stella D'Oro almond toast instead. It soaked up the wonderful sauce and added a nice crunchy touch to the dessert. The only thing I would do differently is to poach the pears a little longer -- I used Bosc pears, and they were still a little firm even after poaching for 20 minutes, so next time I will cook them a little longer. This was an elegant ending for our meal -- we enjoyed it so much!