Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very simple but elegant dessert that is sure to impress.
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 8 slices unpeeled fresh ginger (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (2 to 3 inches)
- 8 slightly under ripe pears (with stems attached)
- In heavy 4-quart pan combine juice, corn syrup, ginger, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Peel pears, leaving stems attached.
- Add to cranberry liquid; cover.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until the pears are tender.
- With slotted spoon, transfer pears to shallow serving dish.
- Remove the ginger and cinnamon; discard all but 2 cups of syrup. In saucepan, bring to a boil; boil 10 to 12 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly.
- Spoon sauce over pears.