Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An Australian recipe from a site online.
- 6 firm-ripe bartlett pears, peeled but with stems intact
- 750 ml red wine (Australian shiraz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup tawny port
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- ginger, peeled and bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place the pears in a saucepan then pour over the red wine, sugar and port. Add the juice and zest of the lemon, ginger and the cinnamon stick then bring to the boil.
- Simmer in the red wine mixture until the pears are bright red and almost tender, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the pears from the liquid, then boil the pear liquid until it has reduced and is syrupy.
- Return the pears to the syrup and allow the mixture to cool until ready to serve.
Yummy and tart. Goes great with vanilla ice cream.
Fantastic! I've just recently started eating poached pears and loved this recipe. It smelled great while cooking and tasted delish. Thanks Rita for a great keeper. Made for ZWT8 - Australia.
These were just lovely! I didn't have any Tawny port, so I had to use sweeter Ruby port instead. Loved the flavors in this, thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8