- 6 firm-ripe bartlett pears, peeled but with stems intact
- 750 ml red wine (Australian shiraz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup tawny port
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- ginger, peeled and bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the pears in a saucepan then pour over the red wine, sugar and port. Add the juice and zest of the lemon, ginger and the cinnamon stick then bring to the boil.
- Simmer in the red wine mixture until the pears are bright red and almost tender, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the pears from the liquid, then boil the pear liquid until it has reduced and is syrupy.
- Return the pears to the syrup and allow the mixture to cool until ready to serve.