This is a nice salad dish for the holiday season or special dinner. Much of this can be made ahead...a real time-saver! They suggest saving the poaching liquid for a spiced-wine spritzer or served warm as mulled wine. I tried the wine spritzer and it was very refreshing. From Bon Appetit December, 2009.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 4 bosc pears, firm, peeled, halved lengthwise, cored
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced (about 1 large)
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 12 cups mixed baby greens (from two 5-ounce packages)
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (about 5 ounces)
- 2Bring first 5 ingredients to boil in large wide saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 3Add pear halves, cut side down. Return syrup to boil.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until pears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- 5DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- 6Drain pears.
- 7Leaving top 1 inch intact (at narrow end), cut each pear half lengthwise into thin slices.
- 8Gently press on pear halves to fan slightly.
- 9VINAIGRETTE AND SALAD:.
- 10Whisk shallot, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend.
- 11Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup oil.
- 12Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- 14Place greens in large bowl. Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- 15Mound greens on plates.
- 16Arrange 1 pear half atop greens on each plate.
- 17Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese.
- 18Drizzle with more vinaigrette, if desired, and serve.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Pear Salad With Blue Cheese and Champagne Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.3
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 244.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 36.7 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed baby greens