1 hr 25 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Planning a special Valentine's Day or anniversary dinner? I cut this in half (just for 2) & it is divine! Use fat plump winter oysters (large to me easily fits in the cup of the palm of my hand, LOL) and take care not to overcook them! From Gourmet November 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 4 artichokes (2 lb total)
- 1 1/2 lbs spinach, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped (2 bunches)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste for oysters and sauce
- 12 oysters (likeBlue Point or Pacific, including liquor, shucked)
- 1 cup champagne or 1 cup sparkling white wine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar, white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1Prepare artichoke bottoms:.
- 2Fill a 3-quart saucepan halfway with water and add vinegar, oil, and salt, then whisk in flour. (Do not heat.)
- 3Cut off top inch of leaves of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife, then cut stem flush with base and discard stem. Bend back outer leaves until they snap off close to base, then discard several more layers of leaves in same manner until exposed leaves are pale green at top and pale yellow at base. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of artichoke with a sharp paring knife, then cut remaining leaves flush with top of artichoke bottom.
- 4Drop artichoke bottom into water in pot, putting a sieve or small lid directly on top of artichoke to keep submerged, and prepare remaining artichokes in same manner.
- 5Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, keeping artichokes submerged with sieve or lid, until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 6Transfer artichokes with tongs (reserving water in saucepan) to a work surface, and, when cool enough to handle, remove pointed inner leaves and fuzzy chokes with a melon-ball cutter or a small spoon. Return artichokes to cooking water to keep warm, covered.
- 7Cook spinach while artichokes simmer:.
- 8Put 1 inch of water in a 3- to 4-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add spinach, 1 handful at a time, stirring with tongs, and cooking until all spinach is wilted. Drain spinach in a colander and press firmly with back of a large spoon to remove excess liquid.
- 9Cook shallot in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Keep warm, covered.
- 10Prepare oysters and sauce:.
- 11Pour oyster liquor into a nonreactive 8-inch heavy skillet and add Champagne, shallot, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and boil, skimming foam, until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. (Reduce heat if necessary to keep from boiling over.)
- 12Pour liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup, pressing on and then discarding shallot.
- 13Return liquid to skillet, then add cream and oysters and cook over moderate heat, turning oysters over if not completely covered, until edges curl, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 14Assemble dish and finish sauce:.
- 15Transfer artichoke bottoms with tongs to paper towels to drain, arranging them upside down. Transfer to plates, turning them right side up, then top with spinach. Arrange oysters on top of spinach, lifting them out of sauce with a slotted spoon.
- 16Boil sauce until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add butter, then chives, and swirl skillet until butter is incorporated.
- 17Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over oysters.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Oysters and Artichokes With Champagne Cream
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.6
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 161.5 mg
- Sodium 1449.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: