Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish has been a long time favorite at our bed & breakfast, because of its unique combination of flavors and delightful presentation. A great dish when your goal is an elegant dish with outstanding flavor. Stale bread absorbs more of the mixture than fresh bread, and will have a better flavor throughout the slice. I prefer to skillet poach the toast to give it more eye appeal, but it can be baked at 350 degrees for 50 minutes as an alternative if you need more slices ready at one time. I serve this entrée nested on a drizzle of raspberry sorbe, with maple flavored sausage links and garnish the plate with orange and green fruit or veggies. YUMMY!
- 8 slice stale French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 59.14 ml Grand Marnier
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 118.29 ml milk
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 7.39 ml grated orange rind
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml powdered cinnamon sugar
- 59.16 ml raspberry sorbet
- 118.29 ml whipped cream
- Slice stale French bread loaf diagonally to obtain 8 large slices of bread 1" thick.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, Grand Marnier, orange juice, vanilla, nutmeg, orange rind, and sugar, until well combined. Pour half of mixture into bottom of a 9X13" plastic container.
- Place the French bread slices side by side in mixture. Allow to sit 5 minutes uncovered.
- Carefully slip spatula under each slice and turn over without breaking.
- Pour remaining mixture over the slices. There will be grated orange remaining in the bowl; Spoon evenly over the slices.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Half an hour before serving, prepare large covered skillet by melting Tbsp butter over medium low heat, until bottom is well greased.
- While skillet is heating, drizzle a bed of raspberry sorbet on ½ of dinner plate.
- Place French toast in skillet, cover, and cook 15 minutes without lifting the lid, which makes the slices poof up.
- Lift French toast slice from skillet with spatula, and turn upside down in center of raspberry sorbet bed on plate, so browned side is up.
- Finish with sprinkled powered cinamon-sugar mixture topped with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.