1/1 Photo of Poached Orange French Toast
Larry E Vaughn's Note:
This dish has been a long time favorite at our bed & breakfast, because of its unique combination of flavors and delightful presentation. A great dish when your goal is an elegant dish with outstanding flavor. Stale bread absorbs more of the mixture than fresh bread, and will have a better flavor throughout the slice. I prefer to skillet poach the toast to give it more eye appeal, but it can be baked at 350 degrees for 50 minutes as an alternative if you need more slices ready at one time. I serve this entrée nested on a drizzle of raspberry sorbe, with maple flavored sausage links and garnish the plate with orange and green fruit or veggies. YUMMY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice stale French bread loaf diagonally to obtain 8 large slices of bread 1" thick.
- 2In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, Grand Marnier, orange juice, vanilla, nutmeg, orange rind, and sugar, until well combined. Pour half of mixture into bottom of a 9X13" plastic container.
- 3Place the French bread slices side by side in mixture. Allow to sit 5 minutes uncovered.
- 4Carefully slip spatula under each slice and turn over without breaking.
- 5Pour remaining mixture over the slices. There will be grated orange remaining in the bowl; Spoon evenly over the slices.
- 6Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- 7Half an hour before serving, prepare large covered skillet by melting Tbsp butter over medium low heat, until bottom is well greased.
- 8While skillet is heating, drizzle a bed of raspberry sorbet on ½ of dinner plate.
- 9Place French toast in skillet, cover, and cook 15 minutes without lifting the lid, which makes the slices poof up.
- 10Lift French toast slice from skillet with spatula, and turn upside down in center of raspberry sorbet bed on plate, so browned side is up.
- 11Finish with sprinkled powered cinamon-sugar mixture topped with whipped cream.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Orange French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 163.6 mg
- Sodium 455.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: