Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from the cookbook What's Cooking America? by Linda Stradley & Andra Cook. This soup is delicious - and the accompanying garlic bread is to die for. Note: 30 cloves may sound like a lot of garlic, but poaching it mellows it out quite a bit and the resulting flavor is soft and complex. Hope you enjoy!
- 30 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced white onion
- 8 small new potatoes, peeled, diced, and reserved in cold water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 slices sourdough bread, thinly sliced and lightly toasted
- 6 tablespoons butter
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine garlic cloves and 3 cups of chicken broth; bring to boil and poach 15 minutes or until soft. Remove garlic cloves to a small bowl and mash with a fork; set aside for use in making Toasted Garlic-Butter Bread. Cook and reduce chicken broth to a glaze; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot over low heat, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add onion and saute until soft. Drain potatoes; stir into butter and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Add 4 cups chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until the potatoes are softened. Remove from heat and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- In a food processor (or blender, if vented or if liquid is completely cooled - warning: putting hot liquids in airtight blender will cause 'explosion'), puree soup; return to soup pot. Add garlic-chicken glaze; stir until well blended. Stir in heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper; cook over low heat another 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve in soup bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese.
- To make Toasted Garlic-Butter Bread: Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, combine mashed garlic cloves and the 6 tablespoons of room temp butter until well blended. Spread garlic mixture evenly over top of the bread slices. When ready to serve, place under broiler for a few minutes until top is lightly browned and bubbly.