Recipe by Oolala
From "Cooking Fun" submitted by Goldie Singer (1950), Fairlawn, NJ. I copied this from a friend's cookbook. It was her MIL's cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fish fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup canned tomato
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- parsley, chopped, to taste
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet and add the onion and garlic.
- Place fish on top and arrange tomatoes over the fish, sprinkle with parsley and pour wine or water around fish.
- Use a vented lid or use waxed paper with a small hole cut in center over the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove lid or waxed paper and garlic.
- Remove fish to a warm platter so it won't over cook and become dry).
- Pour cream or milk into skillet.
- Melt the other 1 tablespoon butter and add the lemon juice and the flour.
- Add this to the skillet sauce and blend; it should thicken.
- Serve fish with the sauce over it.