Recipe by chia
you can cook this in advance, it keeps well refrigerated.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Oh my - these should be called drunken figs! Absolutely delicious and elegant - perfect for a dinner party. I served these ladled over vanilla ice cream with a garnish of whipped cream. I may have set the simmering heat too low, as these were still quite tipsy once cooked, so if serving to children, you may want to boil the liquid a bit longer before dropping the heat.
- 3 cups dried figs, halved (1 lb)
- 2 cups port wine
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- combine first 8 ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil. boil for a few minutes to eliminate the alcohol.
- cover, reduce heat to simmer, cook for 40 minutes. sauce should be thick and syrupy.
- remove cloves, cinammon stick, star anise.
- spoon into 8 dessert glasses, with syrup, top with whipped cream and almonds.