Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy to prepare and fancy on the plate. Inexpensive.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- chili flakes
- 4 eggs, poached
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, and black pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for one more minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to boil. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk, salt, and chili flakes.
- Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with a poached egg.
- In order to make in advance:.
- Complete steps until mixture is placed into slowcooker.
- Refrigerate overnight and then transfer to slowcooker.
One of my favorite recipes! I think lentil soups can taste so....lentily... but this is stellar. I did use 1 tbs of pickled ginger and no chilies, and pepper to taste. I made it on the stovetop, I think it's much easier then slowcooking because it only takes 12 minutes to cook lentils. Next time I will remember to put 1 Tbs vinegar in the poaching liquid and turn it down!
This is a delicious and very healthy recipe that was a cinch to make in the crock pot. I was a bit apprehensive based on the previous review, but my lentils were definitely soft enough. As a note, I doubled the recipe and used light coconut milk. We'll definitely be making this again!
YUM! Only THE PICKY ONE didn't finish although she claimed to like it. I did double the recipe - 4 servings usually won't feed this crowd! Very easy. The lentils didn't cook through - they remained very firm??? We ate it anyway, lol. Made for Asian Accent event in the photo forum 3/09.