Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from Real Simple Magazine, Feb 2010. Great fast vegetarian entree! Next time I am going to throw some spinach in with them mushrooms to boost the green factor :)
Top Review by Starrynews
Fabulous! This is quick and easy to put together, and the presentation and flavor makes it ideal to serve for guests. I used portabella mushrooms and fresh tomatoes from the garden. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 25
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, each sliced into 4 rounds
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large, deep skillet with 3 inches of water. Add the vinegar and bring to a bare simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the tomatoes with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs in 2 batches: Crack each of 4 eggs into separate custard cups, then, one at a time, slide gently into the water in the deep skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes for slightly runny yolks and remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs.
- Top the bread with the tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs, and Parmesan. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.