- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (optional)
- 4 eggs, very fresh
- Put water 1-1/2 inches deep in a large skillet and bring to boil.
- Add salt and vinegar for a fimer but less shiny egg.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- One at a time, break eggs into a saucer and slip into barely simmering water, keeping eggs as separated as possible.
- Cover skillet untill egg whites coat over yolks.
- Remove cover. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until whites are firm but yolks are still soft when touched with the back of a spoon.
- With a slotted pancake turner, lift each egg from the water and rest on a folded paper towel to absorb excess water.
- Trim away the loose thin white.
- Place on serving plate or recipe calling for poached egg.