Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
This is one of my adopted recipes.
Top Review by MIlliewoo
This was delicious! I used sour cream in the tomato sauce and added a teaspoon of dijon. In the vinegarette, I didn't have white balsamic, so used lime juice and a dask of dark balsamic vinegar. The combination of fresh salad with dressing, eggs with the rich sauce and a dollop of salty caviar made this dish really sophisticated and perfect for a relaxing breakfast/brunch. I was reaching for a glass of savignon blanc at only 10.30am!
- 8 eggs
- 200 g field salad greens (mache, corn salad)
- 1 1⁄2 liters water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons concentrated tomato paste
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 ml cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons oil (use olive or grape oil for health reasons)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (I prefer white balsamic)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 50 g black caviar
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 8 parts each
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the sauce, so you can serve this immediately:.
- Melt the butter and add the onion.
- Don't brown them!
- Add tomato paste, cream, eggyolk, salt, pepper and sugar and let simmer on low heat until you have creamy sauce.
- In the meantime boil water with vinegar.
- Mix oil, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Put lettuce on individual plates.
- Sprinkle with dressing.
- Break eggs separately into a cup and slip into the hot water.
- Poach eggs 5-7 minutes in water (water shouldn't be bubbling at the time).
- Take the eggs carefully out of the water and trim the edges.
- Place the eggs on the salad (1 per plate if you use this as an appetizer), decorate with tomato sauce, tomato parts and sprinkle with caviar.
- Looks nice if you manage to cover some of the egg with the red sauce and place the caviar on top.
- Serves 8 as appetizer, 4 with some bread for a light dinner.