- 8 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups long grain rice, rinsed and drained (type sushi or arborio)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, grilled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a casserole, bring to boil 2 1/2 cup of water and salt. Add rice, cover and bring to boil. Let simmer at low heat for about 12 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed. Stir delicately the rice 2 times while cooking. Cover the casserole, remove from the heat and let sit about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix soy sauce, oil, rice vinegar and chili paste, if using. Set aside.
- In another casserole, bring to boil the remaining water and vinegar. Reduce the heat to medium. Break the eggs one at a time in a small bowl and slide them delicately into the water. Let poach 3 to 5 minutes or until the white is firm and yolk is still runny.
- Distribute the rice in bowls and sprinkle with the reserved mixture of soy sauce. Garnish with an egg and sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds.