Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From The Mediterranean Slow Cooker
Make and share this Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Shakshouka) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium red bell peppers or 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 8 large eggs
- za'atar spice mix
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender. Stir in the peppers, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Scape the mixture into a slow cooker and add the tomatoes, paprika, turmeric, sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Stir the sauce and taste for seasoning. Break 1 egg into a small cup and gently slip into the sauce in the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Sprinkle the eggs with the avatar and replace the cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are set to taste.
- Spoon the eggs and sauce into serving bowls and serve with hot fresh pita bread for dipping.