Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan plus some for drizzling
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, in packaged meats case near kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped and 1 crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) canfire roasted diced tomatoes (recommended Muir Glen)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices crusty farm house country bread, thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, a few large handfuls, picked
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 4 eggs, 1 per serving
- Preheat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Add the 2 cloves chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring up to a bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Fill a medium skillet with warm water. Bring water to a gentle simmer over medium low heat. As the water is coming up to a simmer proceed with making the garlic croutons and the zesty parsley sprinkle.
- Toast the bread in the broiler or in a toaster oven. Once the bread is toasted, rub with the cracked garlic and then drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over it and reserve.
- Pile the parsley leaves, lemon zest and orange zest on a cutting board. Run your knife through the pile until the parsley is finely chopped and the zests are completely incorporated into the parsley, reserve.
- Once the water is at a bubble for poaching the eggs, pour the vinegar into the simmering water. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Gently pour the egg into the simmering water. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs. Cook eggs for about 2 minutes for runny yolks, or about 4 for solid yolks. Do not allow the water to boil. Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon to a towel-lined plate to drain.
- To serve, pull thyme stems from chorizo-tomato stew, then arrange the garlic croutons in the bottom of 4 shallow soup bowls, ladle some of the stew on top of the garlic croutons, set eggs in place and sprinkle dish with zesty parsley sprinkle and serve.