I got this from a PBS show, Pati's Mexican Table. I love eggs made other than a standard way!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil (corn, safflower or canola)
- 1/2 cup white onion (slivered or thinly sliced)
- 3/4 lb poblano chile (3/4 lb s about 3, charred, sweated, skinned, stemmed, seeded, cut into about 2-inch slices may soak )
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt, kosher (more or less to taste)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup cheese, crumbled (queso fresco, farmers or a mild feta)
- 1Place the tomatoes along with the garlic and bay leaves in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, simmer until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes. Place tomatoes, garlic and bay leaves in the blender and puree until smooth.
- 2In a large, heavy bottomed pan set over medium heat, pour in the oil. Once hot, cook the onion, stirring now and then, until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the poblano rajas and let them cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce, sprinkle the marjoram, salt and pepper, and let it season and thicken for about 10 to 12 minutes. You can make this sauce ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- 3When ready to make the eggs, reheat the sauce, then lower the heat to medium-low and add the eggs one by one. It is easier if you crack the eggs into a small bowl or cup and slide them into the sauce. Sprinkle a bit of salt on top of each egg and cover the pan with its lid. Let the eggs poach until cooked. I like the yolks, still runny, which takes like 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4Serve on plates and sprinkle crumbled cheese on top. Have warm corn tortillas or toast on the side.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Eggs in a Tomato and Poblano Rajas Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 260.0 mg
- Sodium 676.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 14.7 g