Recipe by mary winecoff
It took me longer to type the title of this than to make it! Very good brunch or breakfast recipe from Bon Appetit (August 2008). Pistou is France's version of pesto.
Top Review by Christine322
Loved this! I used the basic concept of the recipe to make a meal for one: toasted slice of brioche, Parmesan, one poached egg, and a drizzle of jarred pesto. Just wonderful!
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 small garlic clove
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 slices brioche bread or 2 slices egg bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices and toasted
- parmesan cheese, shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree basil, garlic and oil in mini-processor until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough water to medium skillet to measure 1 1/4 inches. Sprinkle salt generously into water. Bring water to simmer over medium heat. Crack eggs 1 at a time and slip into water. Cook until egg whites are just set and egg yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Place hot toast on plates. Top each with Parmesan. Transfer 2 eggs, well drained, to each piece of brioche. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper. Drizzle with some of pistou and serve.