Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Finland Scandinavia
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 6 fresh codfish steaks, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄4 cup hot fish stock (from above)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- parsley sprig
- If you don't have a long, narrow fish poacher, an enamel roasting pan 5 inches deep will do just as well.
- Fill the pan with water to a depth of 4 inches and add 1/2 cup of salt.
- Bring to a boil (over 2 burners, if necessary), reduce the heat slightly and gently slide the cod slices into the water with a spatula.
- Lower the heat until the water is bubbling slightly and simmer the fish for about 5 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook or the fish will disintegrate. Remove the slices with a slotted spatula and drain them on a linen napkin or dish towel.
- Arrange cod attractively on a heated platter and serve with egg sauce.
- Egg Sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a 1 to 11/2 quart enamel or stainless-steel saucepan.
- Remove from the heat, beat in 1/4 cup of the stock in which you poached the fish and stir in the chopped egg, tomato, parsley and chives.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat almost to boiling point, pour into a sauceboat, and serve with the cod.
- If you prefer, you can simply pour melted butter over the cod and garnish it with lemon slices and parsley.
- In Norway, this dish is often accompanied by raw diced carrots, sprinkled with lemon juice, and new potatoes.
Made as written for ZWT6 & this is such a terrific find for us. DH is a recreational fisherman & has a friend who keeps our freezer well-supplied w/cod, but this recipe is all about the sauce & it is outstanding. This is a simple dish to make, but the flavor of the sauce is complex & restaurant-worthy in my view. I am very glad I found your recipe & I expect it will grace our table & please our guests many times. Thx for posting this winner. :-)