This is a classic dish that I made in my basic culinary class. I thought it was delicious, so I decided to share. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim any rib meat and fat from the breasts. Cut breasts into 2 pieces, removing strip of cartilage that joins halves.
- 2Select a pan that will just hold the breasts when they are placed close together.
- 3Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and white pepper, arrange them presentation side up.
- 4Add wine, chicken stock, bay leaf, thyme, and dried tarragon.
- 5Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the pan you are using, rub butter on it. Place it butter side down on top of chicken mixture.
- 6Bring liquid to a simmer and reduce the temperature to just below simmering (this is poaching temperature).
- 7Allow chicken to cook through (about 7 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle). Remove chicken from pan.
- 8Turn temperature up until remaining liquid is boiling. Allow to reduce for a minute or two.
- 9Meanwhile mix 1 oz of butter and 1 oz of flour into a paste (this is called beurre manie).
- 10Once the liquid in the pan has reduced a little, whisk in the beurre manie, and bring back to a boil.
- 11Once liquid has thickened, add cream, and continue whisking until desired thickness.
- 12Strain liquid through cheese cloth, and serve over chicken breasts, with a sprig of tarragon.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Chicken With Tarragon Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.6
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 161.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 15.9 g