1 hr 10 mins
This will make a filling meal for four and leave you with enough broth to make a hearty soup afterwards.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 free-range chicken, around 2 kg in weight
- 4 chicken wings
- 2 onions
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 -10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 1Get out a very large pan and put the chicken in it.
- 2Tuck the chicken wings around the bird, as well as the vegetables, peppercorns bay leaves and parsley.
- 3Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- 4Skim the froth off the top, then turn down the heat so the liquid bubbles only gently.
- 5After an hour or so, turn off the heat, remove the chicken and put it into a shallow dish with some of the hot stock poured over.
- 6Cover with aluminium foil or an overturned bowl.
- 7While the chicken is resting, make the salsa verde by throwing everything except the olive oil in a blender or food processor.
- 8Switch on the blender and slowly start to drizzle in the olive oil.
- 9You will need enough to make a thick slush, so start with about six glugs.
- 10An imprecise measurement, I know, but sometimes you just have to go by what looks and tastes right.
- 11When the chicken is ready, cut off the meat and serve on plates with a tiny bit of broth and a spoonful or two of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poached Chicken with Salsa Verde
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 681.0
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 509.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 55.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: