Recipe by FishingDoc
This is a recipe for Bronzino, which is a European fish related to our native striped bass. The flavor profile of bronzino is very close to that of our native true striped bass in the USA which may be substituted. This recipe may be served either hot immediately out of the oven, or alternatively, cold as an aspic. The richness of the fish stands up just fine to the red wine and herbs.
- 2 (1 -1 1/2 lb) bronzino, about one to one and a half pounds each, scaled and gutted and gilled and with the fins removed, but
- 1 cup dry red wine, eg. Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 apple, crisp and sweet such as a Gala, cored and quartered
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon, wedged (optional)
- additional cilantro
- dill, and
- tarragon, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have your fishmonger scale, gut and remove the fins and gills of two bronzino but leave the tail and head on the fish. Place the fish in a medium to large covered casserole dish.
- Prepare a poaching liquid by combining the red wine, water, salt and pepper. Add the onion, cilantro, dill, tarragon and apple to the fluid and pour over the fish. Cover the casserole and cook in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove the sprigs of tarragon, cilantro and dill from the casserole. If desired, when serving, fresh sprigs of these may be used to garnish the plate.
- To serve hot, gently cut individual sections of the fish and serve in the broth along with the cooked onions and apple accompanied by a mound of steamed rice.
- To serve cold, carefully lift the fish out of the casserole and place on a large decorative serving platter. Lay out the apple and onion around the fish and pour the poaching liquid over the fish. Set this in the refrigerator overnight and leave undisturbed. Immediately prior to serving, carefully section the fish and garnish the platter with lemon wedges and additional cilantro, dill and tarragon. Serves 8 people.