Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006-Turkey. From the "International Vegetarian" cookbook. I haven't had the chance to try this recipe yet. This is a typical dessert of Turkey in which apples are cooked in a spiced sugar syrup and served with yogurt and almonds.
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 24 whole cloves
- 6 medium tart green apples, peeled and cored
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 dash almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread almonds in a shallow pan and toast in a 350ºF oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Insert 4 cloves around the top of each apple; set apples aside.
- In a wide 3 to 4-quart pan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Set apples in syrup. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, basting apples with syrup several times, until tender (12 to 15 minutes).
- To serve, place each apple in a shallow dessert dish. Stir together yogurt and almond extract; spoon mixture evenly into the center of each apple. Spoon syrup around apples and sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.