Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From *The Carnival Experience* by Peter Leypold ( Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines), here's another French recipe using the humble apple to create an amazingly low-cal & low-fat, but elegant finish for an otherwise heavy meal. My sweet-tooth DH would want a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt w/this, so feel free to indulge that request as desired. (Times have been estimated) *Enjoy* !
- 6 granny smith apples (or other cooking apples)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup calvados
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (small)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- Remove core from apples & peel if desired (I would prefer them unpeeled).
- Combine water, Calvados, sugar + cinnamon stick in med saucepan & heat till sugar is dissolved.
- Add apples & cook over low-heat till apples are tender (about 25 min) & spoon liquid over apples occ. Carefully remove apples w/a slotted spoon, allow excess liquid to drain & place on individual serving plates.
- Cont cooking liquid till reduced by half, spoon over apples, sprinkle w/almonds & serve immediately.
TOTALLY off the scale and divine! Not hard to achieve as I am a REAL Calvados lover, and this recipe was SO easy and yet the results were sophisticated and elegant! A confession, to achieve full apple blast off, and because I had half a bottle in the fridge, I poached these apples in CIDER and calvados!! Everything else was as posted, with the small exception of almonds - went to the cupboard and it was bare of almonds.......oh well, I garnished the apples with low fat cream (!!) and a cinnamon stick. Made for Holiday and Prop it Up - merci darlink! A KEEPER for me! FT:-)