Recipe by txkimmers
This chicken pot pie uses mashed tater tots for its bottom crust. It also uses commercially made pie crust for the top, and rotisserie chicken (hopefully your grocery store offers roasted chickens for sale). All of these shortcuts are what constitute the PMS part (pre-made stuff), but the rest is made from scratch, which is only way to guarantee melt-in-your mouth goodness. It really gets the job done when you need some hardcore comfort food, in which case the other meaning of PMS might apply. ;-)
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 3⁄4 cup fresh carrot
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen tater tots
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Pillsbury ready made pie dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- If you use a rotisserie chicken, cut chicken from the carcass and chop to bite sized pieces.
- If there is cooking juice at the bottom of the chicken container, set this aside for later.
- Place tater tots on bottom of a deep dish pie pan, enough to roughly cover the bottom.
- Bake the tater tots until crispy and well done.
- While tater tots are cooking, start a small pot of water to boil (for blanching carrots), and chop carrots, celery, onion and garlic.
- When water starts to boil, drop in carrots to blanch or half cook, then drain and set aside.
- Zap frozen peas in microwave to thaw, set aside.
- Take the pan with tater tots out of the oven when well done, and mash them down until they completely cover the bottom of the pie pan; set aside.
- Combine broth, milk and rotisserie chicken juices in a pouring container and zap in the microwave to take off the chill.
- Set butter inside a medium sized saucepan to melt.
- Add garlic and onions and saute until soft.
- Add flour to this mixture and cook for about 3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Gradually add milk/broth mixture, making a thickened sauce.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery in a bowl and then fill pie pan with this mixture. Carefully pour over this with milk/broth sauce.
- Remove pre-made pie crust from wrapper and lay over pie pan.
- Pinch to close, and pierce the top three times on top to release steam while baking.
- Bake in oven until top crust is golden.