- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt (not iodized)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup medium chili powder
- 2 quarts warm water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large frozen shrimp (in or out of their shells)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 inches piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For Brine: In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sugar, chili powder, and warm water.
- Add the shrimp and set aside for 20 minutes.
- For Saute: Drain the shrimp, peel off their shells, if necessary, and pat the shrimp dry.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Blend in the sugar and continue stirring until the garlic is pale gold; do not let it get dark brown.
- Drop in the shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are bright pink and barely firm.