Recipe by Samantha in Ut
My husband is at his happiest in front of a grill. I surprised him once with this tangy-sweet sauce and now its a regular in our house.
- 5 plums
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 strip lemon zest (about 2x1/2in)
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded (if you like it hot leave the seeds in)
- 2 scallions, both white and green parts finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the plums are very soft about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree then return to pan. Taste for seasoning and add additional soy sauce, honey or lemon juice if necessary to taste. The sauce will be sweet, sour and spicy.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature. It's awesome with ribs or pork.