1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook "Treasured Recipes". This is so delicious and has an amazing sweet and sour flavor without being too cloying. I, know that the frozen lemonade concentrate may put you off but please trust me on this one and you will not be disappointed--or at least I hope you won't be. :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs meaty skinless chicken pieces (i use thighs and legs on the bone)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
for the sauce
- 1/3 cup chinese plum sauce (half an 8 1/2 ounce jar, I use Lee Kum Kee brand duck or plum sauce)
- 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate (I know, I know, I was thinking the same thing but just trust me)
- 1/4 cup asian chile sauce with garlic (I use Kame brand chili with garlic sauce)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Kikkoman brand)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (I use Coleman's brand English mustard powder)
For the garnish
- green onion, thinly sliced
- 1Over medium heat in a large skillet, brown chicken in hot oil for about 10 minutes.
- 2Remove chicken and place in 3-quart baking dish.
- 3Reserve some of the drippings.
- 4Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat drippings left in the skillet.
- 5Add onion, garlic, and gingerroot.
- 6Cook until this mixture is tender and soft.
- 7Combine the rest of the ingredients and carefully add to the onion mixture.
- 8Bring to boiling and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- 9Carefully pour this mixture over the chicken in the baking dish.
- 10Bake, uncovered, at 350°F, spooning sauce over chicken occasionally, for 45-55 minutes until the chicken is done.
- 11Garnish with the green onions.
- 12*We like our dark meat chicken to be falling off the bone tender, so I usually depart from the original recipe by lowering the heat and cooking for a much longer time. The meat is so soft then and that's how we like it.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plum Wonderful Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 835.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chile sauce with garlic