- 1 1⁄2 lbs red plums, halved, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 inches lemon zest (3 strips)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot, mashing with a potato masher.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is the consistency of very thick honey, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove plum skin if desired. Discard vanilla bean and zest. Do not strain; jam should be chunky.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 month.