1/1 Photo of Plum Torte
My friend gave me boxed of Japanese plums from her plum tree and I've been finding ways to enjoy them. This torte can be served for breakfast or dessert topped with a bit of ice-cream. The plums keep it from becoming too sweet. What I especially enjoy about this cake is that it is a perfect cake to freeze and bring out at a later date when you will appreciate a taste of summer. I haven given this cake to neighbors, friends, and family members and everyone loves it. You can also use other stone fruits if you would like. If you do not have a spring form pan, you can line a 9 inch cake pan with foil leaving an overhang over the edges of the pan. Oil the foil generously. Use the foil to "pull" the cake out of the pan when ready. From Cooking for Comfort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 24 halves pitted Italian plums (aka prune or purple, use your favorite plum-you may need less)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- 1Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2In an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt and beat to mix well. Place in a 9- inch ungreased springform pan. Cover the top with the plums, skin side down. Mix the cinnamon with the remaining 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle over the top.
- 3Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the center tests done with a toothpick. Remove and cool to room temperature or serve warm. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.
- 4Help Note: The torte may be refrigerated or frozen for several months, well wrapped. To serve, return to room temperature and reheat at 300°F until warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plum Torte
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 84.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 40.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g