Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a perfect autumn dessert – sweet purple plums, toasty hazelnuts and a hint of cinnamon. It is best served with crème fraiche or whipped cream.
- 900 g plums, pitted and halved
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g hazelnuts, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 275 g puff pastry
- Melt butter in a small pan and toast bread crumbs until they are golden.
- Mix all the ingredients except pastry with breadcrumbs.
- Roll out the pastry to about 5 mm of thickness and shape it into a rectangle. You can use pre-prepared puff pastry.
- Place the plum mixture on the pastry and roll it. You can use a bit of water to safely seal the ends.
- Bake in an oven heated on 180°C for 45 minutes.
- Decorate with icing sugar and serve warm.
I don't often make strudels, but pair that with a plum & hazelnut combo & I figured, rightly so, that we'd have a wonderful tasting dessert! Absolutely wonderful, & I did follow the recipe right on down, except that I served it with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt that was softened! Thanks for this great treat! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Fall's round of Pick A Chef]