Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A twist on Mom's special. The plum sauce adds a sweet, delicious twist. Great with mashed potatoes and green beans.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 -4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats (just enough to thicken)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup plum sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, salt and pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, add the ground meat, oats, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 tablespoons plum sauce, and remaining thyme. Fold in onion mixture and mix well. If the mixture seems too moist, ad a few more tablespoons of oats to the meat loaf holds together.
- Form the mixture into a loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup plum sauce, and salt and pepper. Using the back of a spoon or pastry brush, "paint" the sauce on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Slice and enjoy!