- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 piece lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 lb red plums or 1 lb purple plums, pitted and cut into 6ths
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine all ingredients except plums and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add plums and cook until they have fallen apart, about 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Discard thyme and zest.
- The sauce can be left chunky or pureed in a food processor until smooth.
- Let cool,then pack into jars an refrigerate.
- Will keep 4 weeks.