Recipe by graffeetee
something yummy to spread on toast or use as a filling. makes a great gift. i strongly recommend using myers' rum in this, it has a nice rich flavor. use red or black plums for a lovely color and richer taste. originally from an old food mag, not sure which one.
- 2 lbs plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- combine plums and water in a non-reactive saucepan.
- bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes.
- add sugar and return to simmer, stirring all the while.
- remove from heat and let stand overnight.
- return mixture to a simmer, stirring occaisionally.
- when mixture gets thick, stir constantly.
- boil until the mixture reaches 225 degrees f on a candy thermometer.
- remove from heat and stir in walnuts and rum.
- ladle into hot sterilized jars.
- wipe rims carefully and seal with 2 piece lids.
- cool and store for at least 2 weeks before serving.