Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thanks to the Ball Blue Book of preserving.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Cook rapidly almost to gelling point.
- As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Adjust two-piece lid caps.
- Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.
I made the recipe for 1 pint cause I had 3-4 black plums to use. It gave me a small amount but that's great since I'm the only one to use jam. It's so yummy. It was my first time tasting plum preserves. Thanks Rita :) Made for I Recommend tag game
I made as written and to get to a thickening stage I had to cook it for 30 minutes. This has a nice sweetness to it with the sugar and about half of my plums were really ripe. I got 5 1/2 jars so I plan on giving a couple away. Made for All You Can Cook Buffet Tag.
This was our first attempt at plum preserves, and 5 batches later we are getting pretty good! Great recipe. We did cut back on the sugar a bit, just trying to limit our dietary sugar. We did a 2 to 1 ratio of fruit to sugar. The preserves are wonderfully sweet and tart. Thanks for a great recipe!