Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I'm not sure where I got this from but it is so delicious. I usually skip the browning step & just throw it in the slow cooker, the meat is so tender it flakes rather than slices, the sauce is to die for too.
- 1 1⁄2 kg round beef roast or 1 1⁄2 kg topside steak roast
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 45 g French onion soup mix
- 1 cup plum sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 375 ml beer
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (optional)
- Brown roast in the oil.
- Combine soup mix, sauce, seasonings, sugar & beer, blending to mix.
- Pour over the roast; cover tightly & cook in a slow oven (160.C)for 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours, turning occasionally, until tender.
- Remove meat from pan and thicken pan juices on the stove. (you may need to add some cornflour to thicken the sauce to your liking).
- Serve sliced meat with sauce.
I chose this recipe for PIC fall 2007. I got up and just through everything in the crock pot, mind you the meat was frozen and cooked look all day on low. This has to be one of my most favorites. Will be trying this again by adding carrots and potatoes to this. Thanks Mandy!
Very flavorful - my family loved it! I think next time I will make this in the oven as mine was a bit tough from my crockpot - I think in the oven in a smaller dish it would be submerged in the piquid more and be more tender (more an issue with my cooking method - too big of a pot). GREAT flavor and we will DEFINITELY make it again!!!! Thanks for giving me a gravy combination I wouldn't have thought of before! YUM! ;)
This was fantastic. If just melted in your mouth. The flavors went well together. I made it in my crockpot/slow cooker and it turned out great lots of sauce/gravy left over so I froze some in small containers so i could put it on steak at a later date. Thanks Mandy for a great recipe.