- Do not peel plums. Slice in half and remove pit.
- In a large flat-bottom, non-aluminium kettle, stir together all ingredients except allspice, cloves and cinnamon. Tie these in a square of double-thick cheesecloth and add to mixture.
- Heat mixture to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat. Simmer 2 hours, stirring frequently, until chutney is thick and syrupy. Remove spice bag and discard.
- Thirty minutes before end of cooking, prepare 1/2 pint jelly jars. Preheat oven to 250°F Wash jars in hot soapy water and rinse. Place on oven rack and keep warm until ready to fill.
- Bring water in canner to a boil.
- Using a ladle, fill jars to 1/4 inch of top. Wipe rims clean with a damp, clean cloth. Put lid on jar and tighten ring. Place jars in lifter rack and process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove jars to a wire rack and cool completely. Lids should pop. If any do not pop, store in refrigerator and use within a coouple of weeks.
- Store sealed jars in a dark, cool place. Label with date.