Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Good with pork or poultry, and for gift giving.
Make and share this Plum-Pear-Cranberry Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs plums
- 3 medium fresh pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen-no need to thaw)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 sticks cinnamon, three-inches each
- Do not peel plums. Slice in half and remove pit.
- In a large flat-bottom, non-aluminium kettle, stir together all ingredients except allspice, cloves and cinnamon. Tie these in a square of double-thick cheesecloth and add to mixture.
- Heat mixture to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat. Simmer 2 hours, stirring frequently, until chutney is thick and syrupy. Remove spice bag and discard.
- Thirty minutes before end of cooking, prepare 1/2 pint jelly jars. Preheat oven to 250°F Wash jars in hot soapy water and rinse. Place on oven rack and keep warm until ready to fill.
- Bring water in canner to a boil.
- Using a ladle, fill jars to 1/4 inch of top. Wipe rims clean with a damp, clean cloth. Put lid on jar and tighten ring. Place jars in lifter rack and process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove jars to a wire rack and cool completely. Lids should pop. If any do not pop, store in refrigerator and use within a coouple of weeks.
- Store sealed jars in a dark, cool place. Label with date.