Recipe by Irmgard
This easy cobbler recipe is from BBC Good Food magazine. The syrup tends to boil over while baking so put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drips!
- 3 lbs plums, halved and stones removed
- 4 ounces golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 oranges
- 2 ounces almonds, ground
- 10 ounces self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- 150 g plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the plums, 4 oz. sugar, all-purpose flour and cinnamon in a large baking dish.
- Splash over the juice squeezed from the two oranges, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes, until the fruit has softened.
- Meanwhile, mix the ground almonds, orange zest, self-raising flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor, then add the butter and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
- Pulse in the sugar.
- Warm the yogurt, milk and vanilla together in the microwave for 1 minute or in a pan. It should be hot and may look a bit lumpy.
- Add the flour mixture in the food processor and pulse until thoroughly combined. The mixture should be a bit stiff but spoonable.
- Take the plums from the oven, uncover, then top with 6 big spoonfuls of batter.
- Top with the sliced almonds and a bit of coarse sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the topping is golden and the fruit bubbles underneath.
- Sprinkle with more sugar to serve.