Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is the basis for the best textured muffins ever. You can replace the plums with whatever you fancy.
- 10 ounces plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 3 fluid ounces milk
- 4 ounces melted butter
- 3 large beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 plums
- 2 ounces demera sugar
- Pre-heat oven to gas 6.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and sugar.
- In a jug, mix melted butter, beaten eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Add to dry mixture to make a batter.
- Stone and chop the plums.
- Add to batter and do not over mix.
- Spoon into cases 3/4 fill.
- Sprinkle tops with the demera sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Replace plums with choc chunks, nuts, cherries or what ever takes your fancy.
These were easy and delicious - not much to look at since the plum pieces lost water in cooking and shrank, leaving craters in the outside of the muffins, but perfectly balanced sweet and tangy flavours. Used maple syrup as I had no vanilla, left off the sugar topping, and stretched (quite easily) to 12 muffin cups rather than 10.