Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
a condiment or a marinade for chicken or pork
- 1 lb purple plums, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons peeled ginger, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- in processor pulse plums, onion, garlic and ginger until finely chopped.
- put into a saucepan.
- add remaining ingredients, heat to boiling.
- lower heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- cool and refrigerate.
Yowza, simply yowza! We've got a huge plum tree in our back garden. Every year my neighbor takes several tons of plums and makes her own jam, giving me one huge jar in thanks. This year I'm going to also be giving her a jar of Chia's plum ketchup! It's very sweet, but can also be as hot as you like with the addition of more red pepper flakes. We left out the cinnamon altogether, not big fans of cinnamons in my house (where did I go wrong?).
Yummy! I have tried 3 other recipes and this was by far our favorite. We had it on Moo Shu. We used white tortillas and stir fried veggies(cabbage, zuchinni, onions, garlic, carrotts....) Put some plum ketchup on the tortilla, load it with veggies and roll it up. It is wonderful! Thanks so much!
Super yummy and easy to make-if you squish ripe plums in your hands once they are peeled. I just needed more food to use sauce on- or just eat it by itself! I think I will make and can some for friends.