From Peggy Trowbridge @ about.com. Take advantage of fresh plums in season to make delicious plum jam. You can use any variety of plums or mix them. *** You can also make this with Splenda granulated and Ball Fruit Jell (No Sugar Added Pectin). ***
- Place plums, water, lemon juice, and butter in a large non-aluminum stockpot.
- Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft.
- You should end up with about 4-1/2 cups.
- Stir in sugar. Return heat to high and bring back to a rolling boil while constantly stirring.
- Add pectin and return to a boil while stirring.
- Continue to stir and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Let rest for 1 minute, then skim off any foam.
- Pour even amounts into sterilized jars, leaving 1/8-inch of space at the top.
- Wipe rims and seal with sterilized lids.
- Process in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, let cool, and label jars.
- Store plum jam in a cool, dry place.
- FOR SUGAR FREE VERSION: follow directions on No Sugar Added Pectin box.