Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are lucky enough to have a plum tree this plum jam is great for holiday gifts. Although these seem time-consuming it is mostly standing time and very little actual working time. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (December 1982)
- Make a slit in sides of washed plums with a sharp knfe. Remove and discard pits, leaving plums whole.
- Arrange plums in bottom of heavy non-aluminum saucepan. Add sugar, lemon juice and peel. Set aside in a cool area overnight.
- Next morning bring plum mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and stir. Set aside in cool area 1 day.
- Nex morning bring plum mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, skimming frequently.
- Remove fruit from saucepan using a slotted spoon. Reserve.
- Boil liquid until syrup reaches the thread stage (or 230-degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Add fruit to syrup and return to a boil. Cool completely.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.