Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is from the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert book. I made this with my overripe Santa Rosa plums from my tree. It was a lovely surprise how good it was. I think I like it better than Strawberry Ice Cream.
- 1 cup very ripe plum, pitted peeled and chopped (I just squeezed the soft pulp out of their skins. It took 8-10 plums)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (seems weird but they really do make the ice cream richer and softer)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- Combine plums with 1/4 cup sugar. Mash. Let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour. You can then puree them or not. I liked them better pureed.
- Beat eggs with 3/4 cup sugar until foamy.
- Beat in cream and milk.
- If you're using mashed plums strain the juice into the cream mix and add the pulp when the ice cream is almost done. If using pureed plums add it all to the cream mix.
- Freeze in ice cream maker.
This is wonderful! The ice cream has a nice creamy texture and the plum is delicate but very present. I cut the recipe in half and only needed two "President" black plums for the puree. The sweetness level was perfect! Thanks for sharing!!